A sampling of my personal stencil artwork I've done in my (old) house:
There is no wallpaper anywhere in my home. I don't like taking it down so I don't use it. The top half of the wall was painted white and a warm taupe was painted on and ragged off. Then after that dried a lighter taupe painted on and ragged off to blend it all together. I also added glaze to both base paints. The bottom half of the wall was painted a darker taupe and then sectioned off with tape to make the stripes. I then sponged on the sage green stripe.
After this I got a bad case of the "I wonder if I could's" and this is what happened, LOL!
The blocks go all the way around the room
This is over the main doorway
by the closet door
This is what you see from the hallway. The block goes all the way up and the bunny scene is at the very bottom
over looking the crib, protector
I wish I could give you the feeling of calm when you enter this room. There are many plants and little things that I can't possibly capture on film. The colors are very warm. Everyone always wants to know how long it took me to finish it. I worked on this room 5-6 days a week, 5-8 hours a day, and it took 4-6 weeks or so. I stenciled everything and then went back and hand shaded everything, including the blocks on the walls. The dragon took 8 hours to complete, over 2 days. The white on the horns and scales is pearlized and doesn't show up well unless the sun hits it.
Kitchen when me moved in:
Stripes were painted on the walls in a pale buttery yellow. The stripes are 3 inches wide and spaced 4 inches apart. First the walls were painted in a velvet (one up from flat) paint. Then the walls were taped off with blue or white painters tape (don't forget to use your level as you bring the tape down the wall!). Then the stripes were painted on in the exact same color of paint, but using a semi-gloss or gloss paint. It's not as bad as it sounds. I had a 4 year old and a new baby when I did these walls. I just took it one wall at a time. Taped one wall in the morning, painted it in the afternoon. So, I guess it took 3 days :)